Aiming to bring an end to seven decades long civil war in Myanmar and establish a new Federal Democratic Union, 8 Ethnic Armed Organizations signed the Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement (NCA) with the Government of Myanmar on 15 October 2015 and another two on 13 February 2018.
The Peace Process Working Team (PPWT), (known previously as the Coordination Team, CT), has been the representative entity of the NCA signatory EAOs and supporting their participation in the peace process and NCA implementation. The NCA-S EAO office was established in 2015 to provide technical, administrative and logistical support to NCA-S EAO for their peace process participation.
The NCA-S EAO aim to ensure substantive engagement in the Myanmar Peace and National Reconciliation Process to promote ethnic unity and political legitimacy to secure self-determination and guarantee the enjoyment of rights without discrimination, prejudice or inequality. They continue to make progressive steps in the peace process, working together to resolve the country’s political problems, re-establishing reconciliation and developing a “Federal Democratic Union” as a pathway to sustainable peace.
These ten groups collectively known as NCA-S EAO (Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement – Signatory, Ethnic Armed Organizations) are:
1. The All Burma Students’ Democratic Front (ABSDF)
2. The Arakan Liberation Party (ALP)
3. The Chin National Front (CNF)
4. The Democratic Karen Benevolent Army (DKBA)
5. The Karen National Union (KNU)
6. The KNU/Karen National Liberation Army Peace Council (KNU/KNLA PC)
7. The Lahu Democratic Union (LDU)
8. The New Mon State Party (NMSP)
9. The Pa-Oh National Liberation Organization (PNLO)
10. The Restoration Council of Shan State (RCSS)